I received an organic eggplant in my Fresh Harvest box a couple weeks ago and couldn’t bring together a good meal using it until it was probably on the ripe side of going bad.
Luckily I picked up a fresh cucumber and some orange tomatoes from the farmers market, and thought of a great side to pair with your basic roasted eggplant.
- Cook 1 cup quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, chop cucumber lengthwise into fourths and then into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Slice one handful red grape tomatoes and one handful orange grape tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Dice half a red onion.
- Combine veggies in a medium bowl and add juice of 2 limes, a splash of ACV, and all the herbs of your choice. I added finely chopped fresh rosemary and mint, dried dillweed, and honestly whatever I had in my pantry that smelled good.
- Add salt and pepper to season then add the cooked quinoa and mix well.
You’re gonna love it!
Now, for the eggplant, heat your oven up to 450F.
- Slice into circles about 1/3 or 1/2 inch thick, then cut into half circles.
- Toss with evoo.
- Spread out on a baking sheet. Add sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Cook for about 18 – 20 min flipping halfway.
- At the end, turn on your broiler to 525F – keep a CLOSE eye on this step because if you cover your baking sheet with parchment because it can burn – for about 2-3 minutes.
Plate with massaged kale and the quinoa salad. I served mine with a spicy white bean hummus because it’s a great contrast to the sweeter eggplant.