Yes, you read that right. I’ve discovered an amazing way to enjoy quesadillas as a vegan, thanks to Green Chef and a little (lot) of nooch (nutritional yeast, if you’re new here).
Here’s what you need:
- 2/3 can navy beans
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt + Pepper
- 2+ tbsp nutritional yeast (keep adding as you need for taste)
- 2 tortillas
What to do:
- Drain your navy beans and put them in a medium bowl
- Add lime juice, lemon juice, spices, EVOO, and nooch.
- Mash with a fork (or a potato masher if you’re feeling fancy) until you get a smoother consistency (like a thick hummus). Add your water as you go along.
- Add salt and pepper to taste as needed.
- Spread your new filling in an even layer on a tortilla, and then place another tortilla on top.
- Warm a bit of olive oil in a large pan on medium heat before tossing on your tortilla.
- Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until slightly crispy and browned.
- Slice and enjoy!
This is my best re-approximation of the Green Chef quesadillas using my own spices instead of their pre-mixed vinaigrettes and spice packs. What’s your best guess? I’d love to hear your other ideas for vegan quesadillas in the comments!